Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas Butter Shortbread Cookies


Butter Shortbread Cookies


These cookies are perfect for Christmas. I have to admit that one of the things that makes cookie Sunday possible is that I don't eat very many cookies. So these ones can't be made very many times. 

1 pound butter- chilled
I cut mine into pieces to mix more easily. I used 1/2 tilamook butter and 1/2 plugra butter. I think imported or farm made butter is the best. Never use salted butter! It keeps longer so it is usually older on the shelf. 
1 1/4 cup white sugar. Extra fine is the best option. 
Mix at medium speed until just creamed. Don't let the butter get warm! 
2 tsp almond extract (optional) if you like almond spread almond paste over the completed cookies while they are chilling. I love marzipan so this is great! 
Add 4 1/4 cups flour in 1 cup parts. 
Add it gradually or you will end up over mixing and have a floury taste. 
Press into greased cookie sheet with ridges. I used the Williams Sonoma gold collection cookie sheets. I also used my rolling pin from them with silicone. I want a marble one but that's a separate topic. I love them. I greased it with a cheesecloth and crisco. I would always use a cheesecloth or paper towel to grease a pan/ and cheesecloth is best. 

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes until edges start to turn gold. 
Cover with sanding sugar or powdered sugar to taste- I used about 1 cup and out it on while the cookies were still warm so it melted a bit.
Cut into squares with sharp knife while still cooling. 
Let cool 
My children got a plate and used them as Legos with a sort of rapt intensity. It was about an hour of using their cookies as a fun game and carefully taking bites out of each piece. 

These taste better after they are a few days old. 

Merry Christmas! Don't eat too much. 

Adding a link with my phone blogger is difficult so I'm including links here with this tacky method. 

http://www.plugra.com/ butter of champions. 


http://www.tillamook.com/products/butter.html

Everyone loves tilamook. 


http://www.deandeluca.com/pantry/baking-ingredients/dean-and-deluca-rainbow-sanding-sugar.aspx



Guys. Brand matters. Especially when it comes to butter. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow. You really did take down every detail. So glad you liked them. I've been making them from off the top of my head so long that it was time someone got the recipe down. Don't eat too many now. :)

    ReplyDelete